- You cannot have a bone density exam if you had a barium test with contrast material within the past week.
- Calcium, iron, mineral supplements or Pepto-Bismol (bismuth subsalicylate) should not be taken for 1 day prior to your exam.
- Wear comfortable clothing that is free of metal objects and is easy to change in case you're asked wear a gown.
- You may be asked to remove jewelry and eyeglasses before your exam.
- Bone Densitometry should be avoided during pregnancy.
- Metallic prosthesis sites are not suitable for analysis. Alternate sites would be selected by the technician.