Upper G.I., Small Bowel, Barium Enema,
IVP (Intravenous Pyelogram)
Purchase Dulcolax tablets and one bottle of magnesium citrate at any pharmacy 1 week before your exam.
- Follow a low-residue diet the day before your appointment.
- Have a light breakfast and a light lunch. DO NOT eat sugar or any dairy products.
- After lunch, drink 8 ounces of water every hour on the hour.
- Eat a liquid dinner (clear broth, unsweetened fruit juices, tea or black coffee).
- 30 minutes after dinner, add magnesium citrate to 8 ounces of cold water. Stir and drink after effervescence stops.
- After dinner, drink 8 ounces of water every hour on the hour.
- 2 hours before bedtime, take 3 yellow Dulcolax (Bisocodyl tablets) with water. Do not chew them.
- Do not eat or drink on the day of your appointment. After your exam, drink plenty of fluids to help remove the remainder of the barium from your system. Bring a snack such as a bagel or sandwich to eat after the test.
Schedule your exam between menstrual days 7–11. Do not eat or drink for 3 hours prior to scheduled appointment.
Fluoroscopy should be avoided during pregnancy.